Monday, April 22, 2013

"The Sound" and the "Source": Thoughts on finding your voice

THE SOUND


Forty days and forty nights among the elements –
earth and water, wind,
and spirit’s fire –

After my ears have calibrated to this silence,
a polyrhythmic solitude
retrains my ear
To discern deep in the white noise of my loneliness
a holy voice,
its wild modulations crafting a new language
out of my words and its own.


This poem is from To Kiss the Sun and Mean It (2000). I thought it would make a good namesake for this blog. 

So while I'm revealing the source of my blog title, I might as well share this poem, from 1997's Deciphering Scars:


SOURCE



I’m making notes by candle light.
Thoughts drip slow and hours hum,
unmoving, like this halo-glow
that barely aids my tired eyesight.
All this could change should morning light come.
Words, whose timbres sing through charged ozone
are clay that oozes sensuously
through jittery hands that cannot say
what they mean. The clay intones
this small flame’s simple melody.


So these are a couple poems about finding your voice. I've had to do that several times. I think anyone working in any art form can attest to the fact that you have to keep re-learning your craft from time to time, either to avoid stagnation or in response to changing circumstances. This blog so far is a place for me to re-publish my old material; in the meantime, I've been through that re-learning process yet again. It makes you re-assess your older material, too. This blog certainly will not contain the old material I no longer like! 

With the possible exception of this one. I still like it, but recognize that it's not the best poem I've ever written. But it has a story:


PRAYER IN THE DOWN-TIME


Memories encoded in scars,
carved into this tender flesh by sharp-shooting stars;
Vision painstakingly sculpted by blind hope;
Eyes caress the boundaries that fingers grope,
and I wait for you
   To call forth nothing from my masochistic ploys
   and to breathe life into my empty, fledgling voice.


Poetry for me had always been an art brut, sort of the equivalent of your typical teenager picking up a guitar and starting a garage band. I didn't have a guitar or a garage, but I had pen and paper. First things first: I poured my feelings into all kinds of verse, realizing I didn't have much to say, but that I needed to learn how to say what little there was. That would be the "clay that oozes sensuously through jittery hands that cannot say what they mean." For a long time, my writing was driven by mood. Images and words would follow, and I would sculpt them. It was a technique that came to work for me, but it didn't allow me to begin with an idea.

"Prayer in the Down-Time" precedes that particular technique, though. I hadn't been writing for a few years, following a friend's comment that "no one wants to listen to you whine." Fair enough. But if I wasn't going to "whine," though, I had no clay to work with. 

One afternoon in my Lansing-area apartment, I was listening to Black Tape for a Blue Girl's album, Ashes in the Brittle Air. For whatever reason, some words in the song, "The Scar of a Poet," seemed to smack me upside the head and say, "The only voice you have is your own. Use it." (The actual lyrics include the phrase I had tattooed on my arm a couple years later: "Revel in your gift".)

I'd found a dollar bill in my possession that had "AABBDCC" scrawled on it. "That looks like a rhyme scheme," I thought. So I decided to try it out. "Prayer in the Down-Time" is my response to "The Scar of the Poet," using that dollar-bill rhyme scheme. What resulted was renewed experimentation with my poetic craft. I hope time proves that to have been a good thing.



What is your art form? (Even life is an art form, really.) How have you had to redefine or re-attune your voice? What are your experiences in the ongoing process of learning and re-learning your craft?

No comments: